Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Miramar College Library Learning Resource Center

By: John K and Ryan H

When you’re done with school for the day and decide to go home, there can be many distractions and obstacles that prevent you from doing homework or studying. The Library or Library/learning resource center (LLRC), at Miramar Community College offers a great environment in which you can do your homework and study without distractions. The library itself offers many resources for its students such as computers, printers and work stations plus group study rooms. On top of all that they have a wide selection of books on various subjects for your disciplines.

This library which replaced the old Miramar college library was built at a price of $39.4 million and has three-stories all of which comes to 100,000 square feet. The library was built to offer state-of-the-art teaching, independent learning spaces and for students to research and study etc. The library has a Silver Certification by the United States Green Building Council, for its efforts in renewable energy and by using solar energy to save the surrounding environment from 3,500 metric tons of carbon dioxide every year. There are a number of posted facts about this green environment located in the Library, which is very interesting.

The Libraries operational hours are from 8am to 8pm Monday thru Thursday and also 8am to noon on Fridays. These hours seem very fair for students whom schedules vary. The environment is quiet, allowing students to study and concentrate. The study place is very clean with a water only policy. The staff at the library are very helpful and are always around to answer any questions you may have.

One resource that is very helpful are the group study rooms, which are the ideal place for group projects. Most of them are abundant in room and allow for you to practice a class presentation or for private group preparations. While the group study rooms are helpful, another resource which helps even more is the computer lab. The computer lab offers a great environment to research, do online work, and add to the essay you are working on. This resource is very useful because there are hardly any distractions and you’ll have a great environment where everyone else is working, letting you focus on your tasks or homework at hand. The computer lab has many seats and I have never encountered the problem of no available computers. Once you’re done with homework or any assignment that you need printing, you can go to the printing room where there is a printer and three copiers. Printer paper is available for a small fee so it is wise to bring some change. There is a change machine if you have dollar bills but do not try to put in any notes greater than a dollar or your greater piece of currency will be useless in said situation.

 The Library Learning Research Center is an excellent resource that the school offers and an overall great place in my assessment because you can go there and get work done fast. When I go I have no problems with procrastination and leave with great information, a ready homework assignment, and my work done.

 Here’s what some student had to say about the resources made available by the Library:

“I like the computers in the library they are fast and convenient. I’m always using them for class assignments.”

James Espinoza

Age 19

Major: Business

“I like this new location it’s much bigger and has more space to do homework in than the old Library.”

Kayla Baker

Age 22

Major: Psychology

“The computer lab is nice and there’s plenty of room to do work, I wish they would put in more printers though.”

Steve Perez

Age 20

Major: Nutrition

“I haven’t used the Library much at all except once to do a group study in one of the rooms. I liked how they were quiet from the outside so my group and I could talk without people outside hearing.”

Daniel Flores

Age 23

Major: Sociology
 

 

 

21 comments:

  1. I love going to the library when I get achance because it definetly helps me focus more on my homework. I also tend to find myself in the computer lab a lot. Im able to do my homework and print it as well. Having the library is definetly a great thing because there are a lot of reasorces there that can help you out. I like how its big and there is a lot of space for people to have their private time. This was a great thing to write about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thing that i like the most about the Miramar College library is all of the computers. The computer lab is very quiet which helps everybody concentrate. Not only that but it also has a lot computers so you doesn’t have to wait a turn to use one. The way they make you print is also very easy and economical. Another thing that i like about the library is locations. I think it’s right in the middle of the school and very accessible. I really recommend you use this library because it is less crowed than the city college library and the mesa library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The new Miramar College library is located in a convenient place, as what Victor said it is located in the middle of the school. I like going to the library to make my homework because I can have my private space where I can focus. Then the internet connection is fast and the computers are newer than in Mesa library. The print or copier station is also very helpful but I do hope that the library also provide colored printing. The mini cafeteria located below the library is also great because I dont have to walk all the way to the back or to the main cafeteria just to get coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The new library is amazing not only because its in a new building but also because its so much bigger. Its very convenient for a lot of student including me. I like that they have supplies in the printing room like a stapler, a hole puncher, and pencils. I'm constantly in the library doing homework or using the computers. I liked reading this article it had good details and good pictures on the improvements.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been in the new library yet, side the construction on it but I'd like to go there and study. I do have many distractions at home so I'll probably take advantage of this resource. I do need to have a quiet place to study. This is almost impossible at home it seems, since I have many things on my plate at home. It would be a little bit of a challenge though because I take the bus, from school to home and vice versa. I have very limited buses to take especially from where I come from in Ramona, just north of Escondido.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know that the library was so "green". Im very happy to hear that the library is using solar energy.Apparently there is a number of posted green facts around the library, which I will have to check out. I wish there were some pictures of the old library so I can see what makes it the cream of the crop now. The librarian is always very sweet and willing to help with any task i had to tackle. I believe the library is planned well, with the quite areas and the group areas. I use the library all the time because I get very distracted at home with the tv, computer, or friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is really cool too, is the police department on campus uses green technology as well. There roof has grass which cools the building and gives the building’s AC its power.

      Delete
  7. The library resource center is seriously a life saver!! That place always has my back. There is so many times where my printer at home doesn't work and so I have to print at school. This place really helps students out a lot, they can always go in there and get their homework done in a nice quiet place. They also have a lot of computers to use there is never not one computer not available also the computers are never not working. This place sometimes is my second home so its good to feel comfortable here. They have great resources like everything you would need for a research. In my opinion this place is the best and I am glad that they spent so much money on this because its actually really helpful to many students especially the ones that dont have a computer or a quiet plce to study.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I seriously fell in love with the new library. I go there all the time in between classes just to get ahead with my homework. It seriously is a life saver when it comes to printing and doing last minute homework. I love going in there a lot because I actually do focus on my homework not like at home where it is hard for me to even start because I see my bed and TV so I get really lazy. The library is great because of all the different resources it has specially the computers and also renting books for your classes. I loved this article and it was great to read!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Personally library is a great place to hang out and do your homework during the passing period, but it is also a great place to look for resources (books) for project. The library is also provides you free wifi and also printing copy machine with a reasonable price. The employees at the library can also help you on finding articles for your project. In my opinion library is place for the students to have a quiet and peaceful place to do their homework, project and a group study with no destruction, but every time I stop by the library I see students used the wifi only to play their video games.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love doing my homework in the new libary. I actually learned a really cool fact about the libary too, That if they dont have the book your looking for that it could be at mesas libary. They will actually send it over to the miramar libary so you can pick it up the next day. In addition to that it is supper cheap to print stuff first you have to purchase a print card and that is fifty cents, but also when you purchase that they put the fifty cents on your card and thats how much it is to print.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This place has always been awesome for when I need to print something quickly or when I can work on homework. It's nice to know that it has different study rooms as well and places you can get help. Know that I know those things I may start taking more advantage from it. I have had to type and print several things from the library and it has been quick and easy to do so. There are quite a few computers in there so I don't have to wait for one to open up and I can go in type my assignment and print it which is really cheap as well. Then I'll have an assignment out of the way with it being super easy to complete it. And it is easier to focus there rather than at home or somewhere else where theres so many distractions. Everybody else there is there to work on homework as well so it's a good place to be able to focus on a task.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like this article, I have been at the library only once, but I can tell that the place is very nice, It is a big place that students can use to do homeworks, the printers are useful because there are many students that don't have one at home so this helps a lot, I like the fac that the library has many diferent seccions, so you can choice wich one is better for you like the computers seccion, this make the students homeworks easy, and it is really good that the use a renewable energy, Im sure that many students love this place.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am currently in the Library Resource Center as i write this comment and I am usually always here in between my classes because the mood is very calm and i can relax before my next class. I can get my work done much faster than if I was at home because there are no distractions in here. I enjoyed reading your article and it was nice finding out some of the facts behind the construction of the building. I am glad that this resource exists on campus because it has helped me complete many assignments in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  14. this was a very interesting article i have used the library numerous times because i get very distracted easily when I'm at home and helps me to go to a place where its hard to get distracted and very quiet place so I'm not disturb so that helps and going to the llrc helps me when it comes to essays because i can have some one look at my paper and give me hints and help me to improve my paper to make it better and make more sense and not have so many run on sentences. also, i like the library because they are alywas helpful trying to find places on cam pass that i can't find.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I find the new library and all its emnities very mainstream.It has all the learning aids needed in one place, which is important and convenient. The staff, for the most part are friendly, and helpful.The hours are very flexible,this motivates me to want to head there to study more often than not. The building is nicely designed, and I like the fact that it is energy efficient.This should help keep energy costs down which will allow for the school to use the money saved in other areas.Make sure not to bring in a beverage or you might get strongly reprimanded !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Never did work at the library, but I hear it's a lot easier because there's little distraction. It's difficult to work at home because I procrastinate. So I might start working in the library to get my work done earlier instead of last minute. Really liked the article because it's informative.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have not been to the library since I have all my resources available at home. I am glade that these resources are available for people who need them. I like how everyone speeks so highly of the new library. Its nice to know its clean and plenty of computers for everyone, I also like that printers are available, just in case I run out of ink at home. In the future if it turns out I need these resourses I will definily take advantage of the quit clean spacious facility and if i ever need to check out a book.

    ReplyDelete
  18. the new library which is located in L building is a very convenient facility that Miramar collage provided for students. which is a great place to study and do the homework. the computers and internet connection are very fast; printer cost is cheap. in addition the new library offers sound proof study rooms for those students who wants to study as a group in this campus. each study rooms has a white board that are really helpful for doing math and physic problems. i recommend every student to use this great place because of the study atmosphere in the library. i personally spend over 4 hours in my school days to do my homework in this place.

    ReplyDelete